My thoughts about viewing backlinks

They are not, my friend. I’m not sure how to explain better.

Let me try and explain this better. If I export to another Markdown app that supports aliases, and I also export the target note, then the link will work within the new app. E.g., I have Obsidian, Taio, and iA Writer all pointed to the same folder of Markdown files, and they can all “understand” the same notation for aliases and resolve the links. But even if I don’t do that, at least I’m exporting something easily parsable for a human reader which cannot be said of callback URLs.

Linking to the title instead of the note ID comes with its own problems. It gets broken if you rename the target note since it doesn’t get auto-updated like wikilinks. Also, you have to substitute some characters (e.g., spaces become “%20”) for it to work, so it’s hardly user-friendly.

Take my word for it, it is. Source: I’m using aliases heavily in apps that support it (Logseq, Obsidian, iA Writer), and I’ve tried making it work in Bear. It’s night and day in terms of convenience and function.

I feel like something is getting lost in translation here. Can it be that you’re conflating unlinked mentions and aliases? Those are two very different things. And within the domain of aliases, I’m not even asking to create permanent note aliases but merely to allow for alternate display names for wikilinks. E.g., [[note name|display text]] will be visible as a link saying “display text” but linking to the note “note name”. It’s a one-off, and it’s a function you can completely ignore if you don’t want to use it, and it won’t interfere with your life in any way. I think you interpreted it differently which I guess would explain the combative tone.

1 Like