App Icon reverts back to original if app is quit

Testing version: Version 2.0 (11208)

What were you doing: Changing the app icon and then quitting the app

What feature did you use: App Icon Preferences

What happened: The icon reverted back to the original red one when the app is in a Quit state. When the app is opened again, the icon changed back to the custom one.

What did you expect to happen: The icon to stay the same and not revert back to the default even if the app is quit

I’ve seen this in other macOS apps that offer icon customisation options too.

Hello, IIRC sandboxed apps can’t change the app icon when the app quits (maybe catalyst apps?). Just in case a new API is available, please tell me which apps do the above.

Sorry I can’t understand your message completely. Are you asking for examples in which the app icon does not revert back to the original after quitting?

I’ve tried Mac Catalyst apps like Mona which offer app icon customisations but same as Bear, they revert back to the original app icon when quit.

Craft takes a unique approach to this. It displays the app icon options in the UI, but when clicked on one, it redirects to documentation on how to change Mac app icons manually at the system level which prevents it from being changed when the app is quit.

1 Like

Yes. Is this the Mona you are talking about?

I can see the icon turning back to normal on quit.

This doesn’t sound very good to me. If I’m not mistaken the icon will revert back any update.

Yes. Is this the Mona you are talking about?

Yeah. This is it.

If I’m not mistaken the icon will revert back any update.

Yes this happens on every update.

I don’t know if technically changing the app icon permanently is possible or not at the moment. I haven’t seen any apps that do it.

I noticed that Nova by Panic lets users change the icon and that sticks even after the app is quit.

I use Nova, it’s not a sandboxed app.