Can't copy-paste from Bear into Messages

Testing version: Version 2.0 (11657) and macOS 13.4.1 (22F82)

What were you doing: Trying to copy text from Bear and paste into macOS Messages text field.

What feature did you use:

What happened: Nothing gets pasted in. This has been working before.

Also, I can paste the content into macOS Notes or a Twitter message in Safari. And even paste into the macOS Messages “Search” and “To:” fields, but not the field where you write the message. If I copy the text from macOS notes (after having pasted it from Bear) then I can paste it into the macOS Messages text field.

What did you expect to happen: That the text would get pasted into macOS messages.

1 Like

Interesting :thinking: Apparently Messages on macOS don’t get rich text input and don’t do any conversion.
You can use right-click → Copy As → Simple Text

1 Like

Yeah, it’s super odd. Must be in a recent macOS update they’ve messed something up, since it’s working in both “Search” and “To:” fields. Just wanted to let you in case there was something Bear was doing behind the scenes that had changed.

1 Like

same here with Monterey Mail 12.6.7. I had to change the format of the Mail email draft to “Make Plain Text” for the text to paste.

Also wanted to add if you’re not already considering this, that writing text with various formatting in macOS Notes and copy-pasting from this to Messages works.

@sgtaylor50, I can add that I can copy paste from Bear to Mail, but it’s converted into plain text automatically. Running Mail Version 16.0 (3731.600.7).

Whereas when I copy-paste formatted text (bold, italic, url) from Notes to,

• Messages; formatting is discarded.
  • Mail message; formatting is kept.

I didn’t know about “right-click → Copy As → Simple Text” procedure.

I like rich text, but the web doesn’t. I’d like to use Mail, but MailMate works better for attachments and such.

Just wanted to add that this is now working again in,
macOS ver.: 13.4.1 (c)
Bear version: 2.0.1 (11708)

:raised_hands: