Ordered List - reordering

Testing version: 11208

What were you doing: ordered list

What feature did you use: re-order

What happened: I had 3 items and set ordered list which worked fine but when ilI reordered them by clicking the up/down buttons the list went from 1,2,3 → 2,3,4

What did you expect to happen: expected the list to remain at 1,2,3 but in the order that I changed

3 Likes

I don’t agree on the expectations but I’d like to read what other people think.

Not sure what’s more practical, but I’d say that what happened is what I would have expected.

1 Like

I second bolive’s expectation: The list should be 1,2,3,4 after reordering

1 Like

I absoluteley don’t know about what feature you are talking :smiley:

What ordered list do you mean?

Really? The list started as:

1. Test item #1
  2. Test item #2
  3. Test item #3

When I moved the 2nd one up it showed:

1. Test item #2
  2. Test item #1
  3. Test item #3

Expected:

1. Test item #2
  2. Test item #1
  3. Test item #3

What would you expect?

1 Like

Ok, sorry for confusion, now i know thanks to the last post of bolive

I definetely expect the same. A list starts with “1”, why should it start with “2”? Why should the number of first item remain the same whereas the number of the other items are changing? That makes no sense for me. Actually the question is: why should someone at all expect the current behaviour? what is its benefit?

2 Likes

I could have not explained it very well in the original post (my fault).

I just tested in Craft, Notion annd Apple Pages and it works as expected there.

I agree with the expectation, order should remain intact. Now it’s working a little strangely (for my taste).

3 Likes

I gues that says it all

My bad, now I understand. Yes, a list of 3 items should always read 1) 2) 3)… I thought the numbers where part of the text.

I didn’t know I could attach a video or photo. That says it much better than trying to explain it.

If we were not talking about ordered list, that is, just texts or unordered list, it makes sense to keep everything when switching the order. However, people use ordered list and move things around so that what they see is truly the correct order, from lowest number to the highest number. Automatically changing the number reduces the work for the person who’s writing.

My humble opinion is that I might get confused with exactly which one I just moved. For that kind of scenario I think keeping the original number when switching the order makes sense.

For most people, however, I would think automatic renumbering helps.

1 Like

I did more testing, and this odd behavior only happens when you reorder the first item. If you never reorder the first item, all lower items, as they move, will re-number correctly. As soon as you try to reorder the first item, that is when the reordering number get discombobulated.

If all items would keep their number that somehow would make sense due to the consistent logic. Though i cannot say why i would want that. But that behaviour is indeed odd

Your team is amazing! How quickly this request was heard and acted upon! Loving Bear App.

1 Like

I was the original poster and it was done “johnny on the spot” :slight_smile:

Works great now!

2 Likes

If you have a list item toggled folding (folded) then move that up or down, it will absorb sub-bullets of other bullets. I would expect this to not be the case and that it would keep them grouped. I understand there is simplicity in treating each bullet as its own line vs forcing a group with sub-bullets, but I would expect if it is folded that it forces the grouping. Some writing apps force the sub-bullets to stay with the main even if you just move the main up or down. hopefully that makes sense. Example below of the issue:

• 1A
    • 2A
  • 3 … (folded)

in this example :point_up: If I want to use the keyboard shortcuts to move 3 up to the top, then I would want it’s sub-bullets to stay with it. What happens now is you will end up with:

• 3A
    • 2A
    • 1A

Putting this here as I would say it is related

1 Like