Privacy Issue: Link preview is loading any URL I have on the clipboard every time Bear is in focus

Hi there!

• Bear Version: Version 2.2.2 (12722)
  • OS Version: Sonoma 14.5
  • What were you doing:
    To replicate:
  1. Install Little Snitch or Lulu
  2. Copy a URL from anywhere (don’t have Bear in-focus when you do this)
  3. Bring the Bear app into focus
  • What happened:
    The moment Bear comes into focus, I see that it’s requesting from the URL I have on the clipboard currently.

As someone who is very privacy-minded, I see this as an unexpected violation of privacy. If I happen to have a private URL on my clipboard that I haven’t visited yet, I don’t my computer making a request to that URL (and thereby disclosing my IP address) without my permission.

Though most users might not care about their IP address being revealed, some of us do. I’m conscious of it with each site I visit.

• What did you expect to happen:
    I presume this feature has something to do with getting the title of a page so it’s ready when you paste it, is that right?

If so, I think you should change this to only get the page title after the URL is pasted into a note.

From an interface perspective, it might mean that there is a couple second period where the pasted link says “loading” or something.

If you’re for some reason going to keep “always check every link on the clipboard” feature going, we should at least have the option to disable it.

Thank you!

1 Like

Oh. I just realized there is an option to turn this off that I had never noticed before!

For now, I will disable this option. Though I’d still suggest this happen “on demand” rather than every time Bear comes into focus.

Thank you!

2 Likes