To-do/Bullet Hierarchy Bear 2

There seems to be no way to control visual hierarchy with To-do items and bullets in Bear 2.

Listing defaults to the left margin, and there’s seemingly no way to move To-dos/bullets to the right without nesting items within parent items (in both iOS and MacOS). Using tab—which worked well on MacOs in Bear 1—creates a code block and breaks the To-do.

Has anyone found a workaround? All I want is clear visual hierarchy between headings and To-dos/bullets. I do not want all my list items flush left…

4 Likes

None so far after having just tried. Only when part of a parent

1 Like

Having the same problems with thousands of notes and indented bullets.

It seems indentation (leading tabs) of any kind: bullets, todos, and images, are not legal anymore. As I understand it, it is an adoption of a new markdown language adopted by Bear 2.x called CommonMark.

The problem is, regular users were not told about any software regressions.

Bear 1.x worked flawlessly, Bear 2.x makes leading tabs of any kind illegal and defaults to create a code block, breaking bullets, hierarchies, images etc. in the process.

1 Like

This is correct, lists cannot start with an indented list item.

I wouldn’t call it a regression, it is something we intentionally did as part of the CommonMark integration. We’re monitoring how much the impact is and we’ll iterate by making as much improvement as we can to the UX. But so far we’re really happy about the changes and the overall feedback is great.

4 Likes

Many thanks for the response—I’m sure you’re all swamped with queries after the upgrades!

Other users have expressed similar concerns here.

It seems that folks are talking about several different issues (behavior of tabs, the new Markdown spec, export behavior)—all valid—but my issue is pretty simple:

• I do not want my list items (ordered or unordered) flush with my headings, subheadings, or leading body text (i.e., the body text in the line above the list)

This is all I want Bear to do, and I don’t really care how Bear does it.

In Bear 1.x, one could use tab to move list items anywhere in the editing pane; this ability has disappeared in Bear 2.x.

In Bear 2.x, ordered and unordered lists have at least a pixel or two of separation from the left margin—this is better than nothing.

In Bear 2.x, nothing is what we have for To-do items—the box is flush left with the heading, subheading, or leading body text. There is no visual hierarchy at all.

Maybe I’m an outlier, but this lack of hierarchy is like stabbing my eyes with forks. In my opinion, it’s bad document design in the Mac editor, and even worse (much worse) in iOS.

So, I don’t care so much about tab behavior or export or even the Markdown spec: I just want the ability to create some padding between the left margin and the first item in a list. This doesn’t seem unreasonable.

Based on developer response here and on Reddit, I don’t expect this to be available any time soon. I love Bear, but I’m already looking at alternatives.

2 Likes

As a quick follow up: note how the bullet in my post above gives clear visual hierarchy. The list item is indented significantly from the body text above and below.

This is just good design, something you’ve sanctioned here in the forums. Why wouldn’t the Bear 2.x editor also behave similarly?