Open link in new window not in Edit mode

Testing version: Version 2.0 (9803)

What were you doing: Typing ⇧⌥⌘K or while cursor is adjacent to or on a link

What feature did you use: Open Link in New Window

What happened: loses focus/not in edit mode

What did you expect to happen: new window is in edit mode

While the cursor is adjacent to or on a wiki-link, selecting w/ mouse View > Open Link in New Window or using ⇧⌥⌘K keyboard shortcut does not put the window into an editing session.

My understanding is you want the caret to be placed inside the detached note window (at the end?) when opened with ⇧⌥⌘K, but I’m not sure this is the desired result. Maybe a shortcut for entering edit mode for detached window might be useful.

I’m not so sure that another command is necessary. It seems to me that whether you are opening the wiki-link in a new note to read or edit it, you’d want the caret to be placed inside the window to either move through the note for reading or start editing the note. ⌘W closes the window in either case.

I guess I don’t understand the workflow here. Are people wanting to open and close new windows from wiki-links without editing or reading the entire note? Are you preventing the caret from being placed inside the new window to avoid accidental editing?

Maybe the use case here can be extended as ⇧⌥⌘K is a new feature designed for people who want to use the keyboard as much as possible.

When you hit enter on a note in the list the caret is placed at the end of the note causing the scroll position to move accordingly. When a wiki link is clicked we assume users want to read starting from the top, but the editor is in read mode. Would you expect the caret to be placed at the top of the note if you hit ⇧⌥⌘K on [[wiki link]]? What if the link is to a header [[wiki/header]]?

With that new keyboard command, I’d expect to not use the mouse when the note is opened in the new window. Currently, you have to use the mouse to read the full note [[wiki link]] or anything above the header [[wiki/header]]. So, putting the caret in the first position at the title for wiki links and at the first position at the header for a header link would make sense. This way, you can open the link in a new window, nagivate through it, then close it and return to the main editor.

With the editor staying in read mode, unless the note text is short, you’ll have to use the mouse to scroll.

Edit: see the Apple Notes app’s open note in new window behavior.

1 Like

Ditto: I’d expect the cursor to be placed at the top of the document. I wouldn’t expect to need to click on the document before reading it using the arrow keys.

1 Like

Ok. I can confirm next update’s ⇧⌥⌘K and ⇧⌘K will place the caret accordingly to the header/title of the link.

3 Likes