Bear 2.3.2 for Big Sur

We are experiencing some issue with build 2.3.x and macOS 11. The app crashes when started because of a missing framework, but unfortunately, we don’t seem to have any control over this bug as it’s generated by the latest XCode provided to developers.

While we wait for an XCode update or an alternative solution, please use this build on Big Sur as a temporary solution.
The build has the same code base as the regular 2.3.2 minus any macOS 15 API, and I suggest using it only on macOS 11.
I also recommend not replacing this Bear.app with the one in your Applications folder because it can block the Mac App Store updates.

4 Likes

The build doesn’t work for me – when I try to open it, I get: ““Bear” is damaged and can’t be opened. You should move it to the Bin.”

Hope Bear can find an alternative solution soon.

Please make sure you are opening the archive with macOS Archive Utility

1 Like

Many, many thanks for your swift reply.
It worked – and saved my (work)day!

1 Like

Thank you for finding a temporary solution so quickly.It worked

I’m in the same situation and I really need to get Bear up and running again. I’ve downloaded the build you refer to but don’t understand the following sentence:

When I open the archive and instal the build you refer to,

1. Where do I put the app
  2. What do I do with my existing copy of Bear (the one that no longer loads)
    Many thanks!

Rob

You can run any *.app from any location. Just don’t copy it to the “applications” folder, or you risk overwriting the one from the app store. If you don’t clear out or delete your downloads folder, you could just run it from there until the app store version is updated to resolve your issue.

That makes more sense. Thanks.

The sentence I highlighted says the opposite, which is what I didn’t understand.

Thanks for your help - Bear now running again and I await the update.

Rob

1 Like

Unless I’m mistaken, this issue is only present in 15.1 betas… it seems a bit iffy to be doing App Store builds on pre-release versions of macOS.

I’m copying my Reddit response here:

I’m unsure why this is listed as a macOS 15.1 known issue and not Xcode’s but we don’t see any difference building on 15 or 15.1. Some are also experiencing this issue building on Sonoma with Xcode 16 and generally speaking XCode is supposed to provide a build working on the OS version we want to support regardless of the OS version running.

The temporary build provided is built with XCode 15 on Sonoma and at the moment this is the only solution we and other developers came out with.

2 Likes

Ugh, Apple has gotten sloppy with bugs over the last few years …

1 Like

Please maintain compatibility with Mac OS 11 Bear team! I already upgraded from 10.15 which broke compatibility with some music software I rely on so I could keep using Bear. Mac OS upgrades don’t maintain strong compatibility and it would be a shame to have to continue to upgrade to use my favorite notes app!

I’m still having issues with Bear running under 11.7.10. I followed the instructions here to download a different version of Bear and run that from the desktop and that worked for a week or so I guess. Now when I load that version, my note headings on the left are fine but when I click on one, the actual note text in the right hand window appears at the bottom of the visible space - AND IT’S UPSIDE DOWN. I’m still waiting for a reply from support with suggestions as to how this may be fixed.

I rely on Bear for all manner of things so I hope this can be sorted soon.

1 Like