Smoothness of B2.0 Side Bar

Will the UI of Bear 2.0 side bar be as smooth as it was on Bear 1.0?

P.S - Noted this small hiccup both during beta testing and the public release when swiping around the side bar to reveal the tag pane.

2 Likes

Yes Iā€™m experiencing this also.

2 Likes

Letā€™s hope itā€™s something that the devs can polish as I know they are still sorting other priorities first.

Yep, this is very minor issue for all things considered.

2 Likes

I experience this too but just assumed bad device

2 Likes

I think it can be fixed. I remember a while back a few beta users notified the devs for a fix and they improved the experience. At that time, the main focus was still on squishing the main bugs.

1 Like

Can you please tell me more about this issue?

1 Like

Do a big swipe (i.e. in one motion) to hide/reveal the tag sidebar on iPadOS or iOS and it feels like that bar stutters (slightly) across the screen, instead of being a smooth motion. For comparison, immediately after, show/hide the bar using the 3 line/hamburger menu in the notes-list window, and see how much smoother that is.

1 Like

Do you have a lot of tags in the sidebar?

That would depend what you consider a lot :slight_smile:

I have few parent tags, a resonance amount of subtags (more than I can subitize but Iā€™d say at least 100)

Iā€™d like to add that the stutter happens when you do a quick swipe to reveal the sidebar; it doesnā€™t happen if you slowly swipe to reveal the sidebar with your finger constantly touching the screen. So maybe it has to do with animation inertia or something weird when you do a quick swipe? Itā€™s as if the animation stutters right at the second when you lift your finger when doing a quick swipe.

I was also thinking it could have something to do with Dynamic Island shrinking animation when you reveal sidebar, but the stutter happens even with nothing occupying the Island.

I have probably like 80 unique tags but I donā€™t think thatā€™s it imo.

1 Like

Yes. This sums it all. Like if you compare how B.1 handled the swipe, the difference is quite noticeable.

I used to have this issue, but I havenā€™t in a while. I just checked now and there is no stutter on my end. I also have ~100 tags or so, many of them nested under 15 parent tags. I also tested it with most of the tag/sub-tags expanded and still no stutter. But to confirm, I did have this issue a few months ago.

1 Like

Strange. I only have 9 parent tags but have quite a few subtags. I have compared the stutter animation with that of ā€œUpnoteā€ā€” and Upnoteā€™s animation is what bear used to have

For what itā€™s worth, I donā€™t have dynamic island on mine and I still experience this