Unable to [[wki-link]] if the note is in thrash, but the [[wiki-link]] exists on other pages

Testing version: 11504

What were you doing: Trying to [[wiki-link]] a note

What feature did you use:
With new new wiki-linking behavior, I would expect it to auto-complete as the [[wiki-link]] word still exists on several pages. So even if the actual note is in the thrash folder, the linking should work as the [[wiki-link]] exists on multiple pages already.

What happened: Note does not show in autocomplete.

What did you expect to happen: Unable to wiki link it.

I understand what you mean here and I can see two ways to approach this problem. One is saying that, if the note is in the trash, can’t be linked and the other is allowing trashed notes to be linked.

The first is how it works right now, the latter will change how autocomplete works possibly creating confusion but listing all the trashed notes, So I’m inclined to keep it as it is.

Allowing to autocomplete a link to a trashed note if a link to that note is still present on some non-trashed note sounds like way more of a complex rule to understand compared to the above. Also, in the scenario, once you autocomplete the note title, the link will point to the trashed note and will not create a new note.

1 Like

@trix180 thanks for your reply. I wanted to add some clarifications:

the latter will change how autocomplete works possibly creating confusion but listing all the trashed notes

• No, I am not asking to list all thrash notes. Only the ones that have [[wikilinks]] existing already in other notes.

Also, in the scenario, once you autocomplete the note title, the link will point to the trashed note and will not create a new note.

• Autocompletion of notes does not really create a new note even today. It’s only when we click on that note.

Allowing to autocomplete a link to a trashed note if a link to that note is still present on some non-trashed note sounds like way more of a complex rule to understand compared to the above.

• From people’s point of view, I don’t think they even need to understand this rule. From their point of view, the autocompletion is just doing what it does - showing a list of all [[wikilinks]] throughout Bear. Secondly, we already can link to thrash notes (just drag a trash note into an existing note and it creates a link - so I am not requesting to change how a core logic of Bear works or add a new feature, aka linking to trash notes)

Thanks - and I hope you can give it a consideration :slight_smile:

Generally spoken I would say that deleted or archived notes should not come into the experience at all when working with bear.

1 Like

Definitely agree on that. But the wiki link autocompletion in Bear is a list of all the [[wkik-links]]s across our notes. Not really the notes themselves (it may or may not be a note). My request was to just stay consistent with this behavior.

To be clear, I’m not asking for the autocompletion to show notes from the thrash. I’m asking for it to show all my [[wililinks]] from the non-thrash notes.

Ah ok, I have reread. You mean, because now wiki links are shown for pages that are still not created, they consequently should be shown if the not doesn‘t exist anymore because it is in the trash? I wasn‘t aware that it is like that. But if it is so then I believe the note should be shown in autocompleting just alone for the sake of consistency. It shouldn‘t matter why a note doesn‘t exist, either because it was deleted or never created. However that seems indeed more complex. What if you create a note with same name by clicking on one of the existing links and then you revive the trashed note?

1 Like

Yep - for the sake of consistency, [[wiki-links]] should show all the links that are in Bear. Right now, it’s neither showing a list of all my links, nor is it just a list of notes. It’s a complex calculation of links and existing notes.

The current logic is:

• show all links in autocomplete, but for some reason if that link contains a note with a same name that is in thrash then don’t show that link. Even though we are using that link actively across several other notes in Bear.

@trix180 I hope there is still some time to experiment (at least internally), and this is not a locked decision by Bear. Thank you so much again for the hard work and efforts :heart: